The Great British Bake Off kicked off a few weeks ago and the And Mary team are big fans! Watching the bakers inspired us to do a little baking ourselves..
..nothing quite as big as Mary's cake! But we had a crack at making a strawberries and cream cake, following a recipe from food goddess Delia Smith.
If you're a big fan of strawberries, you can wear them as well as eat them with our collection of fruity favourites, including strawberry and pineapple themed pieces.
If you'd like to have a go yourself, here is the recipe we followed:
- 115g self-raising flour
- 1/2 level teaspoon baking powder
- 2 large eggs
- 115g butter
- 115g golden caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200ml double cream
- 200g strawberries
- icing sugar
- Begin by sifting the flour and baking powder into a large bowl, lifting the sieve high to give the flour an airing. Now just add all the other ingredients and, using an electric hand whisk, whisk for about one minute until you have a smooth creamy mixture that drops off a spoon easily.
- Next, spoon the mixture into two cake tins, levelling with the back of the spoon, and bake near the centre of the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the centres feel springy. Alternative you can bake in one tin for 30-35 minutes and slice into two halves once cooled.
- Remove the tins from the oven and allow to cool. Make sure the cake is sufficiently cool before adding the cream.
- Whisk the cream in a large bowl until stiff, adding icing sugar to required taste. Spread half the cream over the bottom half of the cake and then add a layer of halved strawberries.
- Place the top half of the cake onto the bottom, and spread the remaining cream on to the top of the cake. Decorate with the remaining strawberries.
- Enjoy a generous slice of cake with a hot beverage of your choice! Yum!
With love, And Mary